The essential guide for teaching core Speaking and Listening skills to students K-6! Teach students to consider academic concepts and communicate their ideas in a thoughtful, effective, and respectful way. The Language of Learning covers five core skills: Listening Essentials; Speaking Essentials; Asking and Answering Questions; Crafting an Argument; The Art of Agreeing and Disagreeing. Each core skills chapter includes:
- Practical teaching strategies to use in conjunction with your existing curriculum
- Clear directions for how to teach each skill, give meaningful feedback, and address common mistakes
- Common Core Connections charts listing the K-6 Speaking and Listening Standards addressed in the chapter
- Sample letters to parents to strengthen school-home connections and extend student learning at home
“A practical guide to teaching students the art of speaking and listening?an excellent resource for moving children into thoughtful, robust discussions.”
—Lynn McKay, Teacher Effectiveness Coach, Denver Public Schools
Free discussion questions now available! These chapter-by-chapter questions will deepen your learning and help you apply the book’s strategies to your own setting.
- “The Power of Student Conversation” (Introduction)
- Excerpt from “Crafting an Argument” (Chapter 4, includes Common Core Connections)
- Teaching Timeline (Appendix B)
There are no reviews yet.