What you say—and how you say it—can help students develop confidence, competence, and self-control. The Power of Our Words offers practical tips, real-life anecdotes, and concrete examples on how to use your words to build a positive classroom community and increase student engagement.
- The “Three Rs” of teacher language: reinforcing, reminding, and redirecting
- Listening and skillfully using silence
- Saying what you mean and meaning what you say with brief, concrete, and specific instructions and feedback
- Stretching student thinking with open-ended questions
- Using language to help students envision success
When we polled Responsive Classroom teachers, they named The Power of Our Words one of four books every elementary teacher should have.
Free discussion questions now available! These chapter-by-chapter questions will deepen your learning and help you apply the book’s strategies to your own setting.