Supervised By: Director of Publications
The Managing Editor is responsible for managing the development of assigned CRS products (books, workshops, curriculum, or other) from concept to delivery. The Managing Editor demonstrates ownership of assigned projects by developing content and managing quality during the development and production processes, communicating with key departments. S/he manages processes and schedules, oversees the assigned team of authors, editors, designers, proofreaders, indexers, and printers. The Managing Editor position requires good judgement and excellent problem-solving, team building, leadership, and communication skills. S/he must have a proven record of being a self-starter, executor of good judgment, be deadline-oriented, and customer-focused. S/he must manage their own workload and also work as part of a team to define the overall product offerings for the company.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities Include
- Working with Director of Publications to create schedules, assign resources, and oversee teams for assigned projects.
- Recruiting authors and freelancer resources for projects as needed and as budgeted.
- Working closely with other departments, authors, and research and development to develop and edit strong, solid, unique content that appeals to core audience and competes in marketplace.
- Serving as project manager and editor for CRS retail books, workshops, and multimedia products as determined by the Director of Publications. Doing all the editing and writing for these materials or, with the approval of the Director of Publications, assigning portions to a Publications Senior Writer/Editor or Writer/Editor as needed and overseeing their work.
- Conducting peer reviews and giving approval to print on assigned projects after resolving any concerns.
- Helping the other Publications project manager(s) ensure quality control of their projects by serving as a resource to them throughout their projects and reading late-stage texts (such as manuscripts at the reader stage) in their entirety and offering comments and suggestions for improvement.
- Communicating with assigned team from launch to completion, knowing the current status and schedule of each project at all times.
- Making decisions to keep the project on schedule and in focus on matters that shape the end result.
- Communicating clearly with team about roles, priorities, and changes throughout the process.
- Developing and deliver early promotional materials for products to Sales and Marketing.
- Processing contracts and payments for authors and freelance staff as needed.
- Building product content knowledge over time, becoming expert on the product line s/he manages.
- Collaborating with Director on creating processes and routines for recurring work.
- Establishing standards for cross-team functionality within department.
- Other duties as assigned by Director.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in writing, editing, project management in Publishing field
- Experience developing, designing, and testing new products and enhancing existing products
- Proven decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent and clear verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Team building and collaboration skills, ability to work with wide range of departments
- Proven organizational skills
- Deadline-oriented with the ability to prioritize own and others’ work to meet project due dates
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at one time, agile workflow experience a plus
- Ability to use a computer for up to 8 hours per day, with breaks and lunch.
- Ability to talk on the telephone for up to 2 hours per day.
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of this position, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of individual jobholders may vary from the above description. Other duties, as assigned by the jobholder’s supervisor, may also be required.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click here.