JOB TITLE: Staff Accountant
SUPERVISED BY: Accounting Supervisor
The Staff Accountant works closely with other members of the Finance department to close our books timely on a monthly basis by preparing journal entries throughout the month as necessary information becomes available. This position supports the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll activities of the department and provides training to staff when needed. This position also has accounting responsibility for capital budget items, monthly staff time logged for projects and for providing actual vs budget reporting to Directors regularly. Finally, the Staff Accountant is able to form beneficial relationships and communicates professionally across departmental channels in order to facilitate understanding, efficiency, and goodwill between the organization and the finance department.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Month-End Closing & Reporting
- Create journal entries for month-end closing process
- Review and enter into the accounting system all journal entries necessary to close the books each month
- Run monthly allocation schedules
- Reconcile tracking spreadsheets for all balance sheet accounts as part of creating the monthly journal entries, then update and check that they remain balanced once journal entry has been posted.
- Review general ledger activity throughout the month to ensure all entries are being processed accurately and to the correct accounts.
- Review trial balance once all closing processes are complete and submit to Accounting Supervisor for a final review
- Prepares monthly income statement variance reports for review by Accounting Supervisor
- Researches and provides details on account activity to explain variances when needed
- Updates retails sales projection sheet with actual units and dollars sold and be able to provide sales analysis information regularly
Department and Accounting Support
- Crossed trained in the Accounts Receivable Clerk, Accounts Payable Clerk, and Payroll positions in order to provide assistance and back up as needed
- Stays abreast of the functions and transactions processed by other Finance department positions as the information may pertain to monthly closing processes
- Assists with training other staff as necessary
- Completes set up of new inventory items in accounting system
- Maintains price level information for all items
- Has a comprehensive understanding of the chart of accounts and organization as a whole
Project Development and Fixed Assets
- Review and fully understand the current development projects and their budgets
- Collect and review monthly tracking of staff time on development projects
- Track staff salary on projects based on time tracking and salary information, maintaining strict confidentiality of staff salary figures
- Review project development expense activity and ensure all expense coding follows CRS’ policy for amortization
- Keep track of monthly development costs for comparison with budget
- Update and maintain amortization spreadsheets
- Maintain fiscal year expense tracking spreadsheet for all development projects along with supporting documentation for annual audit.
- Maintain tracking spreadsheet for all new fixed asset expenses along with supporting documentation for annual audit.
- Update and maintain depreciation spreadsheets
- Keep track of fixed asset spending for current fiscal year for comparison with budget
Audit & Budget
- Assists with gathering information necessary to complete annual budget and forecasts
- Completes the annual physical inventory count process, including reviewing CRS and warehouse records, researching discrepancies, and processing adjustment in accounting system
- Assists in preparing year end closing entries
- Assists in the annual external audit review by helping to prepare analysis, documents, reconciliations and other requests from auditors
- Appreciates and values diversity. Represents CRS positively and professionally in all interactions with clients, vendors, and the community at large in both real and virtual interactions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelors’ degree in Accounting
- Two to three years of related financial/office experience
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel & MS Outlook
- Knowledge of accounting software packages for general ledger accounting
- High attention to detail
- Accurate and efficient work despite interruptions
- The ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to a changing environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Exhibit a professional, businesslike demeanor
- Strong work ethic and ability to work autonomously
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Ability to use a computer for data entry up to 8 hours/day with breaks and lunch
- Lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of this position, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of individual jobholders may vary from the above description. Other duties, as assigned by the jobholder’s supervisor, may also be required.