- Aspen Institute National Commission on Social, Emotional, and Academic Development. “From a Nation at Risk to a Nation at Hope: Recommendations from the National Commission in Social, Emotional, and Academic Development.” 2019.
- Durlak, Joseph A., ed. Handbook of Social and Emotional Learning: Research and Practice. Guilford Publications, 2015.
- Elliott, S. N. Caring to learn: A report on the positive impact of a social curriculum. Northeast Foundation for Children, 1993.
- Elliott, S. N. The Responsive Classroom approach: Its effectiveness and acceptability. Center for Systemic Educational Change, 1995.
- Turner, Herb, Tavenner, Jazmine., Cornecelli, Ellie, & Kenyatta, Anjail. Standards for a Course of Study for Teaching SEL Skills K–8. Center for Responsive Schools, 2019.
- Weiss, Iris R., Michael S. Knapp, Karen S. Hollweg, and Gail Burrill. Investigating the Influence of Standards: A Framework for Research in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education. National Academy Press, 2002.